Serving the God of the Living
Ignorance of the Law & LORD: No Excuse - Mark 12:18-27
Trying to trap Jesus is to mock Him, His word & power. After the Pharisees’ failed political ploy, the Sadducees set a tricky theological trap. Wanting to force Jesus to take sides and pick His poison (enemies), they seek to bait Him into a senseless debate.
Too wise to be fooled by smart fools, Jesus points out their sinful thinking: "Are you not in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God? … He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You are badly mistaken!" May Jesus show us each area in which we are badly mistaken, and ignorant of Him & His word.
Sadducees & their “Dilemma” from Deut.: “Levirate Lunacy”
“At the resurrection whose wife will she be…?"” vs. 23 (NIV)
1. Sadducees didn’t believe in Resurrection & only accepted Moses (The Torah)
2. They thought an extreme example of the Levirate Law from Deut. 25:5, 6
- One Bride For Seven Bro.’s - showed silliness of Resurrection
3. These sophisticates are mocking God, His word & Jesus
4. Professing to be wise, they became fools (Rom. 1:16 ff)
Jesus’ Revealing Reply and Rebuke
“You're way off base, and here's why: One, you don't know your Bibles; two, you don't know how God works.” vs. 24 (The Message)
These Bible Scholars were selectively & willfully blind
Jesus used Moses (Exodus 3:13-15) to show their error.
1. Our Eternal State: When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. vs. 25
There will be a Resurrection (John 5:24-26; 1 Cor. 15; Rev. 21)
We will be finished with Parenting / Marriage in heaven
2. Our Eternal God “…have you not read in the book of Moses … how God said to him, 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You are badly mistaken!" vs. 26, 27
Not “I was God of Abraham” - long dead when God spoke to Moses.
But “I AM…” - after their physical death, they lived on. The eternal “I AM” was still their God; the God of the living (physical & spiritual).
We are immortal beings – fit for eternity. Those who trust in Jesus, have eternal life – even now (John 17:3; 1 John 5:11-13).
If you’re mistaken about God & His word, repent & believe!