Friday, September 09, 2005

Faith: Is Yours Growing?

Faith: Is Yours Growing?
“I do believe; help my unbelief."
Becoming People of faith - Mark 9:24


The Timing: Just after a Mountain Top Experience - vs. 14
Experiences are great, as far as they go; are often short-lived.

The Setting: A Failure of Faith & Fruitless Debate: vs. 18
“I told Your disciples to cast it out,
and they could not do it." (they had the authority to: Mk 6:7, 13)

Jesus’ Reaction:
Grief & Frustration at our Faithlessness
"O unbelieving generation, how long shall I be with you?
How long shall I put up with you?" vs. 19 (Ps. 95:10)

A Father’s Sad Plea & Failing Faith: vs. 22
“But if You can do anything, take pity on us and help us!"

Jesus’ Challenge & Call to Faith: vs. 23
“And Jesus said to him, " 'If You can?'
All things are possible to him who believes."

An Honest Confession of Faith & Doubt: vs. 24
“I do believe” a measure of faith
“help my unbelief” a need for faith

Jesus’ Merciful Help to:
the son - He delivered him
the father - He helped his unbelief
the disciples’ - He built their faith . . . and ours


Jesus Diagnoses the Disciple’s Failure: prayerlessness / lack of faith

… "Why could we not drive it out?" And He said to them,
"This kind cannot come out by anything but prayer." vs. 28, 29

Concluding Questions, Confessions & Challenges:


Which was the biggest need: the dad’s faith, his son, or His disciples?

Does Jesus need to rebuke your doubt? 'If You can?'

What is possible for you? “All things are possible to him who believes."

A Prayer for Us Doubters: “I do believe … help my unbelief”

No comments: