Jesus’ Burial - from Mark 15:42-47
“Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you… 2 By this gospel you are saved… 3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures…” (1 Corin. 15:1-4 emphasis added - NIV).
Mark 15:42 “It was Preparation Day (that is, the day before the Sabbath).
· Unburied bodies polluted the land & were a sign of God’s curse (Ezek. 39:11–16; 1 Kings 14:11; 2 Kings 9:36–37)
42b So as evening approached, 43 Joseph of Arimathea, a prominent member of the Council, who was himself waiting for the kingdom of God, (cf Simeon– Luke 2:25)went boldly to Pilate and asked for Jesus' body.
· “a good and upright man” (Luke 23:50) & rich (Mt. 27:57)
· A secret disciple, feared the Jews (John 19:38-42; Mt. 27:57)
· did not consent to the Council’s “decision and action” (Luke 23:51)
44 Pilate was surprised to hear that he was already dead. Summoning the centurion, he asked him if Jesus had already died. 45 When he learned from the centurion that it was so, he gave the body to Joseph.
· Not uncommon to stay alive on a cross 2-3 days (leg breaking)
46 So Joseph bought some linen cloth, took down the body, wrapped it in the linen, and placed it in a tomb cut out of rock. Then he rolled a stone against the entrance of the tomb.
· Joseph’s family tomb & unused – no family buried in it yet (Mt. 27:60)
· Nicodemus helped him & brought spices (John 19:39; 3:1-16)
· Note the honor shown to the dead.
47 Mary Magdalene (Luke 8:1-3 - delivered by Jesus of seven demons)
and Mary the mother of Joses (Matt. 27:55–61)
saw where he was laid.” (NIV)
· Potentially, the saddest words in all history.
· Is He still dead to you?
· Have you died with Him (Rom. 6; Gal. 2:20)?