Mother Mary: a Magnificent Model
Mother's Day Sermon Notes from Luke 1:38-56
As a reaction, many Protestants shy away from much that deals with Mary, the mother of our Lord. Many reactions are over-corrections in which we rob ourselves in the good name of self-protection. A study of Mary from Luke 1:38-56 yields so many great lessons. Mary is a magnificent model for all of us, not just Moms. Her song in vs. 46-55 is called "The Magnificat", from the Latin for "glorifies". Pretty deep stuff for a teen girl (cf 1 Sam. 2:1).
Mary’s Response to Angel Gabriel’s Birth Announcement:
38 "And Mary said, "Behold, the bondslave of the Lord; may it be done to me
according to your word." And the angel departed from her." NASB
* Humbly submissive: "the bondslave of the Lord"
* Obedient: "may it be done to me…"
Cousin Elizabeth’s Description of Mary:
45 "And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment
of what had been spoken to her by the Lord."
* Mary was a woman of faith: unlike Sarah, or Zechariah
* Mary’s faith brought blessing to her & all
The Ultimate Mother’s Lullaby: 46 And Mary said:
"My soul exalts the Lord,
47 And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
48 "For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave;
For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed.
49 "For the Mighty One has done great things for me;
And holy is His name.
50 "AND HIS MERCY IS UPON GENERATION AFTER GENERATION
TOWARD THOSE WHO FEAR HIM.
51 "He has done mighty deeds with His arm;
He has scattered those who were proud in the thoughts of their heart.
52 "He has brought down rulers from their thrones,
And has exalted those who were humble.
53 "HE HAS FILLED THE HUNGRY WITH GOOD THINGS;
And sent away the rich empty-handed.
54 "He has given help to Israel His servant, In remembrance of His mercy,
55 As He spoke to our fathers, To Abraham and his descendants forever."
* She knew the Scriptures & the LORD of them. Note all the attributes
* A Lady of Worship: she loved & feared the LORD her God (Deut. 6:4-9)
* Knew her status was due to God’s mercy, not merit (humble)
* Saw herself as part of a People (Israel). Saw her role in its history
* She was indeed blessed of the LORD & a magnificent model for all.